The work included a multi-discipline team from Gauged Solutions visiting the United Arab Emirates to carry out the following:
- A detailed review of both Emirates Aluminum and SNC Lavelin’s health and safety management systems;
- A survey, including a holistic view of the site safety culture using a mixed methods approach conducting one to one semi structured interviews, focus groups and a brief safety culture survey;
- A detailed review of the Permit to Work system including competency frameworks, a detailed analysis of the type of work requiring a safety document and a review of how it was practically implemented on site;
- A review of both organisational hierarchies to establish roles and responsibilities and understand the effectiveness of workplace collaboration.
We also provided both organisations with detailed reports highlighting where improvements could be made in:
- Setting to work processes;
- Working at height;
- The control and subsequent management of risk;
- Safe systems of work;
- Permit authorisation process including acceptor training and authorisation systems;
- Measurable indicators of managing safety performance using a more balanced approach which measured proactive as well as reactive indicators of safety; and
- Collaborative working sessions leading to approved communication and cooperation across site control boundaries.